Recently, Microsoft has released the SkyDrive Pro client available for Office 2007, 2010 and 2013. For those of you do not have Office 2013, you can download the SkyDrive Pro sync client free here.
What is SkyDrive Pro?
SkyDrive Pro is your business library. It is a place where you can store all important work documents and files, just like the original SkyDrive. Users can store, access and easily sync all of their files in SharePoint Online or SharePoint Sever 2013 within their client workstation.
SkyDrive Pro will keep files safe and private, while enabling you to easily and quickly share files with colleagues.
How does it work?
Depending on if your files are kept in the cloud with SharePoint Online or on your company’s SharePoint Server 2013, storage sizes may differ. In the cloud; storage allocation is 7GB for each individual’s personal site content, including library files, personal news feeds and a recycling bin.
To access your library in SkyDrive click SkyDrive located at the top right-hand side of your organizations SharePoint and Office 365 sites.
Once you are signed into your personal account, and want to add a file to your SkyDrive, simply click on the SkyDrive tab and select the ‘New Document’ or ‘Upload Document’ options on the file tabs.
SkyDrive Pro Sync
SkyDrive Pro sync is an application where you can sync your SkyDrive Pro library and various other SharePoint libraries with your computer or mobile device.
This allows you to access your files and content on or offline when you work with files in the library. By using Windows Explorer, any updates made will automatically sync to SharePoint when you are online.
To sync your SkyDrive library, follow these short instructions:
- Go to your SkyDrive and click the SYNC button. This opens the Sync Library wizard, which will automatically recognize your SkyDrive library name and web address.
- Next, click ‘Sync Now’ which starts the sync process to your SkyDrive. You will then need to click ‘Show my Files’ to open your synced SkyDrive folder in Windows Explorer.
Whenever you need to locate your synced SkyDrive, it will be listed within your favorites in a folder called SkyDrive Pro.
If you ever need to sync a new library, go to the Windows notification area and start the Sync Library wizard from the SkyDrive Pro menu icon.
You can sync up to 20,000 items in your SkyDrive Pro library, including files and folders. For any other libraries contained within SharePoint, you can sync up to 5,000 items. In either of these libraries, you can download up to 2GB.
Ultimately, SkyDrive Pro is all around a great tool for SharePoint users. Some of the benefits include:
- Users can work on documents on and offline from multiple devices.
- Users’ documents can be synchronized across all client devices and servers.
- Multiple users (online or offline) can work on documents at the same time, and the SkyDrive Pro Sync client will save the changes made between users. If there are conflicts, users are prompted to then resolve these conflicts.