There will be a time when you will need to disable a user account in Microsoft Dynamics CRM, starting with when an employee leaves your company. The process of disabling a user is pretty straightforward, but there are a few important things to keep in mind.
One of the most important things to be aware of is that when you disable a user account that owns a workflow, it will also disable the workflow job as well. So before any user accounts are disabled, you must make sure any workflows still have an active user account, as this is needed to continue to process workflow jobs.
When you set up a workflow, the best way to avoid losing all of your workflow jobs when disabling a user account is to make sure your published workflows are allocated and owned by an administrative account as opposed to an employee account.
Here are a few tips to make sure you disable a Microsoft Dynamics CRM user account safely:
- First, make sure you reassign any records, workflows or activities associated with this user to another user or team before disabling the user account.
- If you only want to disable a user for a short period of time, note that you may have to change user privileges for that period, especially if you want other users to be able to modify records while a user is disabled.
- All published workflows should be owned by an administrative account, not an employee account, before disabling a user.
How to reassign a user’s records before disabling them:
- Open the User Account by going to Settings –> Administration –> Users.
- Locate the user’s account and double click on it.
- The User Account will be displayed; click Reassign Records in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
- Choose to reassign records to your own account or to another user or team member.
- Check the Navigation pane on the left hand side to make sure there are no workflows or dialogs linked/assigned to this user.
- Finally you can disable the user’s account by going to the user’s account display and clicking Disable – Ok.
Any licenses for this user will then become available to use for a new account.